Sayer, the home of breakfast


When I first started dining out for breakfast I asked around for delicious spots to try. And one that kept coming up, was Sayers in Leederville. And now, it's a regular nook for me to visit.

The thing I like about Sayers (on top of the great food and flavours), are the staff. They're all friendly and helpful; chatty without slowing down the busy line that you need to join when ordering food. While I'm not a big fan of having to line up for food (preferring table service), it does make sense here because half the tables are outside.

Jeremy and I woke up early but took our time to get down to Leederville, arriving at Sayers to see a crowd of people waiting outside. Lucky for us, because it was just a party of two, we managed to get seated straight away. Thank god. And within minutes Jeremy was kindly waiting in the line of about 12 people to place our orders (he's nice like that).

We started our day with freshly squeezed orange juice (though usually here I get the white peach and passionfruit lemonade - mmmm delish) which was sweet but had the right amount of tartness to it too. It was bright in colour and still had the pulp floating inside. Just how I like it.

Meals came soon after, and the smell was incredibly tempting, as was the way the dishes looked. Mine was especially incredible visually.

Charred sweet corn and pecorino cheese croquette, poached eggs, beetroot leaf and bearnaise sauce ($18.50). Yep that dish was calling out to me the moment I dared to look at the menu. There was no competition; nothing even close. It was a dish made for me.

The sourdough bread was crusty; the bearnaise bright yellow and seasoned just right. Underneath the large charred corn and pecorino cheese croquette was a phenomenal salsa. Singular corn kernels that popped with zest, accompanied by chunks of spring onion and a tiny amount of diced tomato. Probably one of the best things about this dish. It was fresh and cool; a great contrast to the croquette. Which, when I took my knife to it, slid apart like butter. It was crunchy on the outside from what looked like a panko crumb, and fluffy in the middle with a sharp pecorino taste. Mixed with the gooey yolk of my poached eggs and the smooth sauce that sat on top, it was a really great dish. Smart ingredients put together in a smart way.

It took my a while to get through, but Jeremy was quick to help me polish it off when I started to struggle. Big servings in a nice cozy place full of warmth and the heavy scents of food and coffee. I like Sayers, especially on cold winters days when I get to sit inside with my boyfriend and marvel at how some places just continue to always get it right.

Though he'd been drawn in by a couple different dishes, Jeremy had opted for the full breakfast ($22). Scrambled eggs, potato cake, 3 beans, grilled tomato, field mushroom, italian sausage and bacon. You could tell he was hungry because the moment it touched our table, he was tucking in with great enthusiasm.


I sneaked a bite of the potato cake after watching him smile with appreciation. It was flavoursome but dense; though easy to eat. But it was when Jeremy said very happily, "wow", after biting into his eggs that I found my fork heading back onto his plate. It was creamy and fluffy; light like a cloud. Probably one of the best scrambled eggs I've had. Definite wow factor indeed.

Breakfast here is so good. It's on my list of places to go for lunch sometime. And tapas. And to finally make it to one of their apparently incredible degustation meals too. This place just keeps ticking all the boxes for me. It's well presented, well thought of... and well - just plain amazing.


Sayers on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

Post a Comment